Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Countdown to Christmas – Day 1

I found these awesome Advent Ornaments from Confessions of a Homeschooler and thought they looked like something I could do. I really wanted to do *something* for Advent this year, but I didn’t plan anything, so I figured my chance was gone. Not so! We already have a paper chain up for Kahlen’s birthday with four more links at the end for Christmas, so I just attached these ornaments to the chain with clothespins. Now, every day we’ll be doing one activity in preparation for Christmas.

2010-12-01 Paper chain

Today our activity was to make ornaments for the ornament exchange we are doing through Hi Mamma and get them mailed off. We actually made them yesterday and had some finishing touches to do today.

I thought I’d share our ornament project so you can make some too if you’d like! These are super easy and fun with any age kids.

2010-12-01 Making Ornaments (2)

Dough Ornaments

{Ingredients}

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • water
  • food coloring (optional)
  • embellishments (we used glitter glue)
  • straw
  • ribbon

{Directions}

  • Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  • Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Add water to make a doughy, but not sticky, consistency. Add food coloring.2010-11-30 Making ornaments (2)
  • Roll out on floured surface. Cut out any shape you desire with cookie cutters, knife, or whatever.
  • Place on cookie sheet. Poke a hole with the straw where you will hang the ornament.2010-11-30 Making ornaments (3)
  • Bake for 1-2-3 hours, until dry completely. Flip if you want after about an hour-1 1/2 hours.
  • Decorate as you want. Thread ribbon through hole and tie off.
  • Tada! Handmade ornaments! I also like to make hand prints this way because even babies can do it :)

~S

1 comment:

Larry said...

Memories...
These ornaments sound like the ones your mother and I made before you were born when we couldn't afford to buy any. We had some of those ornaments for decades afterwards.