Friday, December 9, 2011

SOAP–Luke 4–Serve God alone

Luke with MomsToolbox

Scripture: Luke 4:8

And Jesus answered him, "It is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.'"

Observation:

Jesus was rebuking the devil as he was being tempted. What stood out to me about this verse was “him only shall you serve.” Not anyone else, just God.

Application:

I was thinking about who or what else I serve. I can tell you right now, I don’t serve only God. I get pulled into traps of idolatry, pleasing others, and I’m sure a host more. Freeing myself from those distractions is so hard! The other thing I’ve been struck with, however, thus far in reading Luke, is the number of times the Holy Spirit is mentioned. What a great reminder; I’m not alone. Because of Jesus, the Spirit is with me all the time and I don’t have to try to figure this out by myself. Halleluiah!

Prayer:

Father God, I desire to serve you only, but I get so distracted. I pray that you would help me listen to your Spirit who lives inside me so that I can focus on serving you more and other things less. Thank you for that Spirit, and what an amazing gift and guide it is in my life. Amen!

~S

No comments: