Friday, May 28, 2010

Tot School - Gardens and Flowers Week 1

Tot School
Kahlen is 41 months old

We are following the Hubbard's Cupboard curriculum for 2's called Joyful Learning. This week was about Gardens and Flowers.

We got our basement rearranged again, this time to make a space for us to do school down there. She has her very own desk and everything!

Day 1:
As usual, we did our stART project first. I forgot to mention in my stART post that I was able to get the video and the book from the library, so we watched the video on the day we did the activity, but have been reading the book ever since :)
After that, I convinced her to do the sunflower seed tray next. Basically it was just a paper with four circles on it. I put numbers in the circles (6-9) and she had to count that many seeds onto the circles.
Of course, then glue had to be involved, so we glued all the seeds down.
 I broke out our letter stamps that we haven't used in awhile. First I had her find the G for Garden and the F for Flower. Then she stamped those letters all over a paper.

We sang our verse Ephesians 4:2,then she still wanted to play with her stamps more, so I dumped them all out. She spelled her name!

Then she stamped on her easel. First she didn't get the letters quite right...
...but she realized it almost immediately and corrected it!
I was so proud of her!! :)

Day 2:
We started by reading The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
Then she sequenced pictures of a plant from seed to flower
After that, we "played" a game involving sunflower seeds, an ice cube tray, and a die. I had to use one of our trays to roll the die onto after she accidentally rolled the first one off the desk and behind the bookcase, oops!
It went something like this: roll the die, count out that many seeds, put them in a pocket of the tray.
She loved it and wanted to leave the tray out for "awhile" (it's still down there, I think :) )
I found these find a letter worksheet with help from Confessions of a Homeschooler. You can find them at Beginning Reading.
She didn't want to do it at first, but once she warmed up, it was a great activity. I liked this one because it had upper and lower case and she's still working on recognizing lower case.
Last, we did a do-a-dot mini marker page from Making Learning Fun
She just wanted to keep using her dot marker, so I let her just do whatever. She made me these framed pictures, how sweet :)

Here's a few other activities we did this week too:

Since we're learning about gardens and flowers, we did the classic dying carnations with colored water. We did blue and red. I forgot to take a picture when we started, oops.
Day 1:

Day 3:

Day 7:
Worked like a charm :) I didn't measure the food coloring, I just used enough to darkly color the water. You also have to make sure you trim the flower just before putting it in the water so that it has a fresh cut to suck up the colored water.

She got this game for her birthday back in December, but I thought it was played slightly differently so I didn't know she was ready for it.
 It's a letter matching game. I thought the letters used make the matches were all lowercase and then you matched them to either upper or lowercase, but actually  they're uppercase, so we could have been playing for months! Ah, well, it's still fun :)
I do have to put a limit on her only using the fishing poles while she's playing the game, but she's doing pretty well with that (surprisingly).

Well, that's our week (ok, last week) in review :)

~S

No comments: