Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Taco Puffs & Refried Bean Soup

Tasty Tuesday
Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
Please link up your recipe at the bottom of the page. You can post a link to a recipe on your blog or anywhere else. In the title of your link, please leave your name too (especially if it's not a blog post) so I know who it came from :)
Also, feel free to grab my Tasty Tuesday button, it's on the left side, near my other button.
My girlfriends and I do a "secret momma" gift exchange every year for Mother's Day. This year, my good friend Robin got me the Taste of Home: Simple & Delicious Cookbook.
Naturally, I had to try something new this week :) I made two of the recipes for dinner, not too bad. I will be making them again, but I'll probably modify them to suit us better.
Taco Puffs
{Ingredients}
  • 1 pound ground meat I used ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • taco seasoning
  • 2 cans Flaky Refridgerator Biscuits This is the part I'll probably make next time instead of purchase
  • 8 ounces sliced cheddar cheese or 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

{Directions}
  • In a large skillet, cook meat nad onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. drain. Add the taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Cool slightly.
  • Flatten half the biscuits into 4-in circles; place in greased 15-in x 10-in baking pans. spoon 1/4 cup meat mixture onto each; top with two cheese slices or 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Flatten remaining biscuits; place on top and pinch edges to seal tightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown
Refried Bean Soup
{Ingredients}
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (or about 2 fresh tomatoes, diced)
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic (or at least twice that)
  • 1 can (31 ounce) refried beans oops, I only used a small can, that's why it wasn't bean-y enough :)
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounce) chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
  • 5 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips, optional didn't use these this time

{Directions}
  • In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes, onion and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the refried beans, broth and cilantro; simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, if tortilla strips are desired, place strips on a baking sheet. bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Garnish soup with tortilla strips.
So, what are you cooking today?
~S

1 comment:

Eileen Rhoadarmer said...

Those taco puffs sound really tasty, I'll have to try them sometime. Maybe next week!