Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tasty Tuesday – Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup

 
Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
Please link up your recipe at the bottom of the page. You can post a link to a recipe on your blog or anywhere else. In the title of your link, please leave your name too (especially if it's not a blog post) so I know who it came from :)
Also, feel free to grab my Tasty Tuesday button, it's on the right side, just under my spiffy new tabbed box.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;) I’ve added a recipe index of all the Tasty Tuesday recipes. Click here or go to the food tab at the top of the page to find it.

I’ve been making this recipe for at least 9 years. I think I originally got it from a little insert on a can of chicken broth, but I’ve modified it over time to be just what we like. That’s how a good family recipe should be, right?

Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup

{Ingredients}

  • 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 4 cans chicken broth (7 cups)
  • ½ cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 can Mexican-style corn OR 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 cup your favorite salsa
  • 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped (if not fresh, double)
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 4 corn tortillas

{Directions}

  • Spray saucepot with cooking spray and heat 1 minute. Preheat oven to 425°
  • Add chicken and cook until browned, stirring often.
  • Add 2 cans broth, rice, and cumin. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes.
  • While soup is cooking, cut tortillas into thin strips and place on baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
  • When soup is done simmering, stir in corn, salsa, cilantro, lime juice, and remaining broth and heat. Top with Tortilla strips.
  • Optional: Serve with quesadillas.

~S

No comments: