Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Cheesy Homemade Crackers

Tasty Tuesday
Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
Please link up your recipe at the bottom of the page. You can post a link to a recipe on your blog or anywhere else. In the title of your link, please leave your name too (especially if it's not a blog post) so I know who it came from :)
Also, feel free to grab my Tasty Tuesday button, it's on the right side, just under my spiffy new tabbed box.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)
Today’s recipe comes from All home Cooking. All Year Long. again. She's got some tasty stuff, I tell ya! My hubby doesn't care for these, but the rest of us *love* them! I made these on Saturday, they're almost gone already. Better go make some more :)

Homemade Cheesy Crackers
{Ingredients}
  • 2 3/4 cups unbleached flour
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp onion salt
  • a few shakes of cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dry mustard (I left this out because none of us like mustard)
  • 1/2 cup cold olive oil
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp ice water
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • sea salt for topping, if desired
{Directions}
  • Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  • Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. 
  • Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while stirring. Then, drizzle in the water and apple cider vinegar.
  • Form the dough into a ball. If it won't form, add more water, a little at a time, until it will form a ball. I found it easiest to form it into three balls and work with smaller pieces.
  • Roll the dough very thin -- under 1/8th of an inch. This is important, because the crackers will puff up substantially even this thinly rolled. Cut as desired. I used some small cutters. (You can see the ones I used in the picture above) You don't have to do that. You can use your pizza cutter to cut them into squares. 
  • Place them on your baking sheet. 1/2" apart is plenty, as they don't expand. Bake the crackers 10 to 12 minutes, or until browned. They will get crispier as they cool.
  • Repeat until all your dough is used. It's much harder to reroll "recycled" dough. It gets very stiff, so use as much of it as you can the first time around.

~S

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

These looks like they were alot of fun to make and you had such a great helper.
We often run out of crackers and I really like having my lil helper in the kitchen too so Im looking forward to trying these.
You have a lovely blog, I enjoyed stopping by,
Have a great week!
In His Joy,
C