Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tasty Tuesday – Creamy Potato Soup

Tasty Tuesday
Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

I got the cookbook Deceptively Delicious awhile ago and just now have gotten around to looking at it. I really wanted to read all the front matter before diving into the recipes, but I just never got to it. So, this week, I was scrounging for new recipes and found two that sounded pretty tasty. Here’s the one that was a hit all around. I also made the sloppy joes, but I’m the only one who liked them (except for my parents, glad you guys liked them too!). The premise of the book, in case you’re not familiar with it, is about hiding vegetables in everyday foods so that your kids will get more veggies in their diets. In reality, I bought this book for me because I would like to eat healthier, but I just don’t really like the way vegetables taste by themselves. SOO, here’s a cheater way to get more vegetables into YOUR diet ;)

Creamy Potato Soup

{Ingredients}

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, cut in half
  • 2 (14-oz) cans reduced fat low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 pounds potatoes, any kind, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup cauliflower puree
  • 1 1/2 cups butternut squash or carrot puree
  • 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • croutons (optional)

{Directions}

  • Coat a large pot with cooking spray and set it over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add the oil, onion, and then the garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not brown, 5-6 minutes.
  • Add the broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes.
  • Carefully spoon the mixture into the blender or food processor and add the vegetable purees, buttermilk, and salt; puree until smooth. Not everything fit in my food processor, so I left some of the broth in the pot and didn’t add the buttermilk to the food processor. I then dumped the pureed soup back into the pot and added the buttermilk, mixing to combine well.
  • Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese and croutons.

~S

No comments: