Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tasty Tuesday – Chicken Lemon Soup with Orzo

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

Okay, so I haven’t actually made this recipe in awhile, but I’ve been making it for at least 15 years, at least. It’s very simple, yet very tasty. It also freezes well, although it’s a lot thicker after you freeze it. I love it, hubby doesn’t, which is why I didn’t make it last week like I had planned. Not that he hates it, he just doesn’t like it as much as I do.

Chicken Lemon Soup with Orzo

{Ingredients}

  • 8 cups chicken broth or stock.
  • 3/4 cup orzo rice-shaped noodles found in the noodle section
  • 1/2 pound chicken or about 2 chicken breasts
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 2 tbsp parsley which I nearly always forget
  • salt and pepper to taste

{Directions}

  • If you’re using chicken breasts, cube them and cook in a soup pot sprayed with cooking spray.
  • When chicken is done cooking, add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add orzo, cooking until tender, about 20 minutes.
  • If you’re using shredded chicken from making chicken broth, add chicken about 5 minutes before orzo is done.
  • About 5 minutes before orzo is done, crack eggs into a bowl. Whisk the eggs while pouring in lemon juice. Stir in the zest.
  • When orzo is done, slowly pour egg/lemon mixture in, whisking continuously. The soup should thicken slightly.
  • Add parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.

~S

Linking up at

TastyTuesday200pix Welcome to my new home   Tasty Tuesday

No comments: