Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tasty Tuesday – Tomato Skillet

Tasty Tuesday
Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
Please link up your recipe at the bottom of the page. You can post a link to a recipe on your blog or anywhere else. In the title of your link, please leave your name too (especially if it's not a blog post) so I know who it came from :)
Also, feel free to grab my Tasty Tuesday button, it's on the right side, just under my spiffy new tabbed box.
Don’t ask me what happened to last week’s post, I really have no idea. All I know is Friday I realized that I hadn’t done any sort of post for awhile, oops.
Anyway, here’s a new recipe that I tried tonight for the first time. I’m going to write it like I made it and not how it was written. I went with what I had in the house instead of stressing about what I didn’t have (since I didn’t have any way to get to the store anyway). It turned out great! There’s also an odd little dessert at the bottom, tasty, but odd. ;)
2010-06-28 Tomato Skillet
{Ingredients}
  • 1 pound ground turkey (or whatever ground meat you like)
  • 1 tsp (or more or less) granulated garlic
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 cups diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups noodles of your choice. I used penne
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • parmesan cheese (preferably not moldy, oops)
{Directions}
  • Brown ground meat in a large skillet. After meat is done cooking, drain and add seasonings to taste.
  • Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and noodles to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes.
  • While that is simmering, steam carrots separately.
  • When the noodles are al dente, add carrots and bell pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes until veggies and noodles are done to your liking.
  • Add mozzarella cheese and cook until melted.
  • Serve with parmesan cheese on top.

Salty Peanut Squares

Salty Peanut Squares
{Ingredients}
  • 5 ounces corn chips, crushed, divided
  • 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, divided I used salted because that’s what I had :)
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4-1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
{Directions}
  • Place half of the corn chips and peanuts in a greased 8x8 pan; set aside.
  • In a saucepan, bring the corn syrup and sugar to a boil. Stir in the peanut butter until blended.
  • Drizzle half over corn chip mixture in pan.
  • Add remaining corn chips and peanuts to remaining syrup; stir until combined.
  • Spoon over mixture in pan; press down lightly.

  • Drizzle with melted chocolate. Cool before cutting.
Picture courtesy of Taste of Home
~S

1 comment:

Cheryl Pitt said...

Those salty squares look addictive! And the tomato skillet kind of reminds me of what we call goolash or Johnny Marzetti :)