Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Piggy Tales – A sister for me


This is the second in a 15-week series that I’m participating in over at Mommy’s Piggy Tales.
This week, the topic is through age 5 or so. After thinking about all the things I could post about, I decided to post about my sister. She is 27 months younger than I am. She lives too far away now, so I only get to see her once or twice a year :(
This is me right before my sister was born. My parents took a road trip from Colorado to California to see relatives and go to Disneyland. My mom was 8 months pregnant, so she couldn’t ride very many rides. I don’t think they would even let her on Dumbo the Flying Elephant (something about the straps not fitting right, sheesh).11
After having another successful home birth, my sister entered the world on November 3, 1983. I was there during her birth, although I don’t remember it. Here’s one of the first pictures taken of the happy family of four (my mom is on the other side of the tub, in there with us too)
83RobBirthTub0002We had a great time together. Yes, we fought like sisters do, but not as much as some. We never went through long phases of not liking each other, even as teenagers or adults.
T00021.07 1985 R&S on Rocking Horse My sister wasn’t happy unless she was sleeping with me, especially as a baby. I slept in her crib with her until she was old enough to sleep in a bed, then we slept in a waterbed together, probably until we were about 9 and 7.
1984-12 Sela & Robin XMas
Christmas 1984. We liked this picture so much, we reenacted it  18 years later. 2002-12-25 Robin and Sela
Thinking about my relationship with my sister has made me glad that my kids are about the same age apart. They have the potential to be such good friends, which I can already see developing.
See you next week for the next Piggy Tale!
~S

10 comments:

Robin Fenske said...

Aw shucks! I miss you!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Sounds like you two were close and had great memories growing up. Looking forward to hearing more!

Larry said...

Until I saw these pictures again, I didn't realize how much your daughter looks like you.

Unknown said...

Whoa, that first pic of you and your sis by the Christmas tree looks exactly like Kahlen!!

Eos Mom said...

Great post--I love all the pictures (especially the reenacted one)!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness- is that YOU or KAHLEN by the christmas tree?
CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

That pic of all you in the bathtub together is so special!! How awesome to have something like that!! Your relationship with your sister sounds so sweet. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the next couple of weeks!

Denise said...

Great pictures!It is obvious that you really enjoyed each others company.

Penny said...

I like your reenactment of the Christmas pic. What a creative idea!

Lindsay said...

What a sweet post remembering your life with your sister entering it! It kind of reminded me of my 2 oldest girls. They have slept in the same bed for ages and they still do at ages 5 and 8. Now our 2 1/2 year old wants to join them!