Friday, June 4, 2010

stART - The Sunflower House

Each Thursday A Mommy's Adventures does a great blog carnival. Read a story to your child; then accompany it by art.
Last week, we finished our unit on Gardens and Flowers from Hubbard's Cupboard.
For our stART project, we read The Sunflower House by Eve Bunting
 Since I got this book at the library, Kahlen's wanted me to read it to her over and over (and so I have). So when it was time to use it for school, she wasn't really paying attention to the story, but that's okay :)
After we read our story, we planted some little starter packs from Target. 
It was pretty fun because you place the soil pellets in water and watch them soak up all the water. I then let her fill the little pots with the wet dirt.
Then I held the seeds while she put them in the pot and then put more dirt on top. I decided this would be easier than trying to get her to only poke the seeds in a little bit.
Here's the finished product:
Good thing someone I know has a green thumb (Hi Mom), because I sure don't. Pretty sure none of these are going to come up, even though she's been really really good at watering them every day.

I'm thinking about getting little starters from my mom and pretending that her plants actually came up...Is that bad?
Oh well, maybe my little planties from my mom will survive:
This is my "garden" since I don't actually have a yard. There's a marigold, two tomato plants, two basil plants, and two lettuce plants. This was the day we planted them. Kahlen helped water them. I am still skeptical that they'll produce anything because they're all still looking pretty sad after their planting :(

~S

4 comments:

Janna said...

I don't have much of a green thumb either but what fun to do this with your daughter! The Carrot Seed is a short read about planting and faith that we like too.

Thanks for linking up to Feed Me books Friday.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It's hard to go wrong with a sunflower seed! :)

Jackie Higgins said...

We read this book too last week! I found an activity at Hubbard's cupboard for making an adorable sunflower. You paint a paper plate yellow around the edges and then use brown paint mixed w/ glue for the inside, throw some actual sunflower seeds onto the paint/glue. It turned out pretty cute for a preschool craft! I hope your plants grow!

Jackie Higgins said...

Obviously, I am a dork and didn't read your post carefully since u mentioned hubbard's cupboard. sorry! (Just so you know, the sunflower works ;)