Friday, June 4, 2010

PreSchool - Gardens & Flowers Week 2

Tot School

preschool corner

Kahlen is 41 months old
 I decided this week that I'm going to start linking up to Preschool corner from Homeschool Creations as well. I feel like we're kind of between these two, more toward Preschool corner :) I tend to use our tot trays more like the workbox system that I've been reading about and less about free play. I'm guessing soon when Nate starts joining in, the trays will be out for him and we'll do more workboxes for Kahlen.

We are following the Hubbard's Cupboard curriculum for 2's called Joyful Learning. This week was our second week about Gardens and Flowers.

 Day 1:
We did our stART project first with The Sunflower House by Eve Bunting.
Next we made a new placemat. Because we participate in Muffin Tin Monday every week, Kahlen came up with the idea that she needed a muffin tin placemat since we have one for her regular meals with a plate, fork, spoon, and cup. Took me a little while to figure out the best way, but here's what we came up with:
I found some great printables over at The Ramblings and Adventures of a SAHM for shape tracing and letter find pages. I printed out the shapes one on card stock and laminated it. Kahlen's been doing pretty good with it, definitely good practice.
We also did the Find the S page. (You know, S is for Sunflower :) )
She wanted to sing the verse without my help, so of course I let her! It's amazing to me how fast she can memorize things, wish I could too!

Day 2:
We started with This is the Sunflower by Lola Schaefer. I was very impressed because she realized that it was a cumulative rhyming book like two other books we own but haven't read for awhile. When I started reading it, she said "Hey, Mommy! This book is like the Jack's house book!" Made me smile :)
We then made a sunflower from a paper plate. She painted the edge and did a great job putting paint only on the edge where I told her to.
She then added the sunflower seeds:
Then the stem:
Finished product:
Next we did a number recognition/counting activity with fake flowers. There were four tags with the numbers 1-4 on them. She picked a tag, counted out that many flowers, then I tied them into a bouquet for her.

She then was to give them away to people she thought might like a flower. She gave two to Grampa and Grammy and I think we still have the other two, oops.

She traced one side of her shapes sheet that I made earlier in the week, but was not really focusing by that point, so we moved on.

Our last activity for the day was a running one outside. Yea, had a hard time getting her to come back in :)
We took a fake flower and placed it at the far end of the grass, and she had to run and get it and bring it back. I timed her so she could beat her own time.
Of course, she "made" me do it too. We each did it about 5 times before I called it a day.

Our next unit is on Zoo Animals. I'll be posting my planning sheets soon, so stay tuned!

~S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found you from Blogfrog.Thank you for sharing nice blog.Please visit My Community
come on in,join in discussions, start one of your own, make new friends share your experience.I would love to hear from you.

http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

Have a great day.
Nan