Challenge your children to contribute their memory skills to the HearBuilder Recall Agents as they undertake mission after mission trying to save the people in MemoryTown from the wacky plans of Dr. Forgetsit! Along the way, players will improve their auditory memory, closure, and comprehension abilities, while at the same time learning key strategies for remembering numbers, words, sentences, and stories. Research-based HearBuilder Auditory Memory software includes five essential listening activities.
- Memory for Numbers (3-7 digits)
- Memory for Words (3-5 words)
- Memory for Details (1-4 details)
- Auditory Closure (sentence completion)
- Memory for WH Information (2-3 sentences/2-4 questions)
Each of the multi-level tasks in HearBuilder Auditory Memory takes your children on a different mission to foil the wacky plans of Dr. Forgetsit. The humorous and captivating adventures will keep your children motivated as they develop and strengthen their abilities to recall verbal information.
Grades K-8, Ages 5 and up
We got this game from Super Duper Publications to review for TOS crew. It sounded like an interesting concept, so we were eager to try it.
The concept is simple: Use a game to increase your child’s auditory memory skills. Based on what we’ve done with it so far, it seems to be working. She has had a few frustrating game sessions, but mostly it’s when she’s tired or distracted by her brother. The frustration has been that she couldn’t remember what the answer was, so that says to me that it was working and challenging her at the same time.
Overall, Kahlen has really enjoyed it, but there are a few flaws that are difficult to get around.
So, what I like:
- Each activity progresses through the levels at a good pace; not too many problems as to become annoying, but not too few as to not give enough practice.
- The progression of levels is appropriate. Each level is just a small step above the last one so as to not create unnecessary frustration.
- The interface is easy to navigate and well laid out. It is obvious, even to my 5 year old, what is supposed to be done next.
- The game is easy enough for my 5 year old, but challenging enough for even an adult to get some good memory practice.
Things that slightly annoyed me:
- It took a really really really long time to load on my computer. I don’t know if it’s just my DVD drive or what, but it took almost 5 minutes to load one of the times, and at least 3 minutes on average. It also took a long time to transition between activities because it was running from the CD.
- Related to my other complaint, there is no way that I can see to install directly onto my computer. Meaning we need the disk every time we want to use it. This seems like an antiquated way of doing software to me in this age of downloads and fast processors.
Kahlen asks to play this game, which is always a good sign. I will continue to let her use it as more of a reward for getting her other work done, as she does enjoy it, but I don’t see it as a necessity for school.
HearBuilder Auditory Memory retails for $69.95, but if you use code BLGAM30 you can get 30% off (good through 8/31/2012)!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this product through The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.