Monday, April 26, 2010

Tot School - Birds Week 2

Tot School
Kahlen is 40 months old

We are following the Hubbard's Cupboard curriculum for 2's called Joyful Learning. For two weeks, we have been learning about Birds.
Last Monday, one of my friends who does our curriculum with us took the kids on a field trip to another friend's house who lives close by and has a few chickens. 
Three friends holding hands as they leave for their field trip

Enjoying their Muffin Tin Monday lunch as a picnic

Our first day of regular "school" looked like this:
When I put my regular bible on the tray, she promptly informed me that she did not like my choice of stories for the day. We read Genesis 8:6-12, first talking about Noah, the ark, and the flood, then discussing the birds that were in this part of the story.
Then she wanted to do the painting one.
Painting with feathers. I tried to get her to do something besides use it as a paint brush, like on its side or something else, but this is what she wanted to do. 

Next we took a baggie full of different colored feathers and sorted them by color. I pulled out these buckets from our Easter unit. She would only sort those colors, the ones we didn't have buckets for all went into the reject pile.
Here's all the sorted ones. I forgot to get a picture of the rejects, but I thought that was pretty funny.

We also looked at a National Geographic article about birds and a Zoo Books about Parrots. She sang Genesis 1:1 complete with signs by herself. She also did pretty good on her handwriting page.

The weather turned on us last week, and it was raining and cold a bunch of the week, boo :( We did manage to get out for a walk between rain showers, it was Nate's first time in the wagon (more on that in another post)
Giving kitty a piggy back ride

Jumping in puddles.
I was actually surprised she was doing this since she usually has a strict policy about getting dirty.

Here's what we did on our second day:
We first did our stART book and project about "What makes a Bird a Bird?"

We then made this birdseed bird. No action shots because I was busy helping her not spill birdseed all over the table and floor.

We also talked about the different parts of a feather using a real feather and a diagram. 
Then we did a simple 1:1 correspondence activity with 1 nest, 1 egg, 1 bird, and 1 worm
She's trying really hard to roll the playdough into a worm.

I didn't even have a tray out for her verse song because she sang it to me as I was setting up. She also sang it to daddy when he got home. So funny how some songs really stick for her and others don't at all.

Woohoo! I made it! :)
Check out other Tot School posts at 1+1+1=1

~S

1 comment:

Eileen Rhoadarmer said...

I'm starting to understand your previous comments about starting school so you'd have something to do with your daughter. I've gotten to the point where I feel that my son needs more to do during the day, so I recently made him some play dough. He's still too young to do any crafts with a finished product in mind, so it was good to give him something to squish and play with, and provide a new experience. I probably will end up copying a lot of your projects, since, with an October birthday, he'll be only two months shy of 4 years before he'll be able to start preschool. I'll have to do projects with him, for both of our sanity--which is exactly what you'd been saying before.