Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday – Lemon Cranberry Scones

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

I’m not really sure why, but I had it in my head that scones were difficult to make. Um, yea, they’re not, they’re really easy. Like as easy as chocolate chip cookies easy. I found this recipe that is ever-so-tasty, but I like “things” in mine. I’ve made blueberry ones too (for hubby, I do *not* like blueberries), but I made these for me last week because I love just about anything lemon. So, here’s my modified recipe. Add more or less lemon to suit your taste (like, unless you’re a lemon-lover like me, you might want to put in less!)

Lemon Cranberry Scones

{Ingredients}

  • 1/3 C real butter
  • 1 ¾ C Flour
  • 3 tbsp sugar + some for the top
  • 2/1/2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4-6 tbsp milk
  • Juice from ½ a lemon

{Directions}

  • Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cranberries, and half the lemon zest. Cut in butter with pastry blender until it resembles fine crumbs.
  • Combine egg and 4T milk. Add lemon juice. Slowly pour milk mixture into dry mixture while mixing with a fork to combine. If you need the additional 2 T milk to bring the dough together, add it. I almost always need the full 6T of milk.
  • Gently pat dough into a circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Brush top with milk or beaten egg and sprinkle liberally with sugar and remaining lemon zest.
  • Cut into 6 wedges and separate on a cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes. The tops shouldn’t be brown, but the bottoms will be golden-brown and the tops set. Keep an eye on them and don’t over-bake.
  • While still warm, split and spread with butter and jam, lemon curd, honey-butter, just about anything!

Good for any time of the day! Especially those 6am prayer meetings :)

~S

No comments: