Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tasty Tuesday – Mac and Cheese Soup

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

I was planning on making this recipe last night, but hubby vetoed it. He said it didn’t sound good because it had no meat, but didn’t stop to think that I might be modifying the recipe to suit our tastes better. SO, after a nice long *ahem* discussion, I made it tonight. Basically, I told him that if he doesn’t like a new recipe that I make, he is welcome to make himself something else (without commenting in a negative manner, of course). Anyhoodle, here’s my version of this Food Network recipe:

Mac and Cheese Soup

Based on this recipe from Food Network Magazine

{Ingredients}

  • Salt
  • 2 cups elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
  • Cooking Spray
  • 3 Shallots
  • 2 Carrots, peeled
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 cups hot water
  • 4 tsp chicken bullion I use Better than Bullion reduced sodium
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated parmesan
  • 2 cups cubed turkey ham or other protein of your choice (liked cubed cooked chicken)

{Directions}

  • Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook as the label directs; drain.
  • Mince the shallots, carrots, and celery in a food processor. Mist a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add the vegetables and cook over medium-high heat until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
  • Add the flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the hot water and bullion. Bring to a boil. Cook stirring, until thickened, 6 to 7 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat. Add the milk, cheeses, macaroni, and meat and stir until the cheeses melt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

~S

Linking up at

TastyTuesday200pix Welcome to my new home   Tasty Tuesday

No comments: