Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tasty Tuesday – Greek Chicken and Lemon Soup with Orzo

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

I’ve been making this recipe for years! It’s a nice, easy, and very tasty soup. The title is long, so usually I refer to it as “chicken orzo soup” or something equally short. It’s amusing when my mom, my sister, and I bring up this recipe, because we all pick different words out of the looong name to describe it :)

Greek Chicken and Lemon Soup with Orzo

{Ingredients}

  • 2 chicken breasts, cubed
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup orzo small noodles usually found on the top shelf :)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice about 2 lemons
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 2 tbsp parsley I generally forget about this ingredient, oops
  • salt and pepper, to taste

{Directions}

  • Spray a large soup pot with non-stick spray. Cook chicken in the pot over medium until cooked through.
  • Add broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo. Cook for 20 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
  • Crack eggs into a mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs while pouring the lemon juice into the bowl. Add zest.
  • Whisking soup continuously, slowly pour in the egg mixture. The soup should thicken slightly.
  • Add parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

~S

Linking up at

TastyTuesday200pix Welcome to my new home   Tasty Tuesday

No comments: