Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tasty Tuesday – Thai Chicken

Tasty Tuesday
Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

This is from a cookbook that I got at a garage sale sometime this summer. I hadn’t really looked at it until now, and I think I’ll be selling it. Nothing looked particularly good except for this one recipe. (It’s called Easy Home Cooking Slow Cooker Recipes, in case you care). Also, I don’t usually like Thai food, but this was tasty to me, so don’t let that scare you off!

Thai Chicken and Noodles

2010-11-01 Thai Chicken (2)

{Ingredients}

  • 2 chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes I put these in at the end, on individual portions, because I don’t like them
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 3 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (not natural style)
  • 12 ounces hot cooked vermicelli pasta OR 2 packages ramen noodles, cooked, without seasoning packets
  • 3/4 cup peanuts or cashews, chopped
  • 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped

{Directions}

  • Place chicken, bell pepper, carrots, 1 cup broth, soy sauce, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 3 hours.
  • Mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup broth in small bowl until smooth. Turn slow cooker to high. Stir in green onions, peanut butter and cornstarch mixture. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is no longer pink in center. Stir well. Serve over noodles. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro and red pepper flakes if you didn’t put them in the slow cooker in step 1.

~S

No comments: