Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tasty Tuesday – Eggnog Flan

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

I received my new issue of Food Network Magazine this week, and everything looked so tasty, I had to try at least one thing! I ended up making both the Eggnog Monte Cristos and the Eggnog Flan. Both were delicious. The monte cristos were designed to be an appetizer, and I know why now. They were a bit rich to have as a meal, but it worked.

The flan! Oh my, it was delicious. This was the first time I had made flan, and it came out beautifully! I didn’t know that it was as easy to make as it was, this might be dangerous ;)

2010-11-29 Eggnog Flan (6) {Ingredients}

  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 4 cups eggnog
  • 5 eggs

{Directions}

  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Stir the sugar and water in a medium skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, swirling the pan but not stirring, until deep amber, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour the caramel into a shallow 10-inch-round cake pan, tilting the pan so the caramel evenly coats the bottom.
  • Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Whisk the eggnog and eggs in a large bowl until smooth, being careful not to beat in too much air. Pour the eggnog mixture over the caramel in the pan, then place in a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the cake pan.
  • Loosely cover the roasting pan with foil and bake 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue baking until the custard is set but still quivers, 40 minutes to 1 hour.
  • Remove the flan from the roasting pan and let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until cold and set, about 2 hours. To serve, run a thin knife around the edge of the flan, place an inverted flat plate over the pan and flip to unmold.

I was glad I had guests to help me eat this yummy-ness, I don’t think I need to eat an entire pan of flan, but I sure could have, it was that good!

~S

Linking up at

TastyTuesday200pix Welcome to my new home   Tasty Tuesday

No comments: