Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday–Breakfast Burritos

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)

A few weeks months ago, I posted that I was going to make breakfast burritos. I then got a bunch of requests for my recipe and never did get around to posting it, oops. Sooooo, here it is! Simple, adaptable to your family, filling, delicious, the perfect freezer meal!

Sela’s Breakfast Burritos

{Ingredients}

  • 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
  • 2 tbsp butter flavored shortening
  • 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese
  • 18 large flour tortillas
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

{Directions}

  • Peel and cube potatoes. In a large nonstick skillet or wok or whatever you have, melt shortening over medium heat. When hot, add potatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, then stir/flip, and cook for another 5 minutes. Continue cooking until potatoes are cooked but not too mushy. They should get a little browned too. Dump in huge bowl when done cooking.
  • Scramble eggs in a large pan. I usually add a bit of milk to my eggs, but that’s completely up to you. Dump cooked eggs in huge bowl.
  • Cook sausage, either in same pan or a different one. If you do it in the same one, the pan is hard to clean later, but only makes one pan dirty for this part. Dump sausage in same huge bowl.
  • Add cheese and seasonings. Stir well.
  • Place 1/2 cup filling in each tortilla. Fold over ends and roll into burrito. Place on cookie sheet and freeze until completely frozen. Store in gallon ziplocks in freezer.
  • When you’re ready to eat one, microwave for about 1 minute on 60% power, then turn over and microwave for another minute. Typically, the middle of mine is still cold, but I would rather reheat that part than have crispy ends on my tortilla, so you pick. Hubs likes his to be hot all the way through the first time, so he cooks his for longer. IF you plan ahead and actually defrost one, it works much better :)

~S

1 comment:

Honey said...

This recipe sounds so yummy!

What about wrapping the burrito in a paper towel when you microwave it, then it might not dry out.

I am working on a list of breakfast foods for my family. We have allergies though, so breakfast is our hardest meal.

Blessings Honey
(www.sunflowerschoolhouse.com)