Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tasty Tuesday–Bread Machine Pizza Dough

Tasty Tuesday
Welcome to another week of Tasty Tuesday here at The Young'ns!
There’s a recipe index under the food tab above if you’re ever looking for a recipe I’ve already blogged.
Every Monday, I plan on trying a new recipe. If it goes well, that’s what I’ll be posting on Tasty Tuesday. If not, I’ll post a tried and true (i.e. something I don’t have to think about too hard) ;)
Wow, how can it be that I have not posted this recipe yet?!? This is another great tried and true bread machine recipe, although I bet it would work without the bread machine too. We like pizza around here, who doesn’t? But we like it to be a tiny bit more healthy, so this is my light wheat version of the crust :) This recipe makes enough for two large pizzas or four individual pizzas.2011-12-03 Making Pizza (6)
Bread Machine Pizza Dough
{Ingredients}
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/4 warm water (microwave for 40 seconds)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
{The rest of the ingredients}
  • Cornmeal
  • Olive Oil
  • Sauce
  • Toppings
  • Cheese
{Directions}
  • Place in bread machine pan according to your manufacturer’s directions (or your preference, I actually do mine backwards from what my machine says to do)
  • Wait 45 minutes (or whatever your machine says) for some tasty goodness. Roll out on a surface lightly dusted with cornmeal. Brush dough with olive oil before adding sauce, toppings, and cheese. Have you tried mixing cheeses, like mozzarella and cheddar? How about adding cream cheese chunks as a topping? So many choices!!
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, depending on your preferences and the amount of toppings. The kids’ plain cheese pizza cooks for 10 minutes, mine with a few toppings cooks for about 12, and hubby’s cooks for 17 (he likes his crust *well* done plus he puts on a lot of toppings).
NOTE: This recipe works great where I live at high altitude (~5000 feet). You may need to adjust yeast, liquid, and flour amounts by a bit to get it to be perfect for you, especially if you live at lower elevations.

What’s your favorite pizza toppings? I get stuck in a rut with chicken and pineapple, looking for some creative ideas; I’d love to hear from you!
~S
Linking up at Beauty and Bedlam and It’s A Blog Party

*EDITED TO ADD* I just started making this in my mixer instead because I now need to make two batches since we eat a ton of pizza AND we like to have leftovers :) So, here's the modifications/steps to make it in a stand mixer instead:

  • Place warm water, yeast, and sugar in mixer bowl. Stir to combine and let sit for five minutes.
  • Add oil, salt, and one cup of flour to mixer bowl. Using dough hook, start up the mixer on a low speed. Keep adding flour until all is added. 
  • Knead using dough hook for several minutes, until a ball is formed and it looks well mixed.
  • Divide into two balls. Place in greased bowl in a warm place, like on top of the stove, covered with a towel, for 30-45 minutes. 
  • Continue with directions 

No comments: